Individual Athlete Program (IAP) provides services and support to Western
Australian high performance athletes who are not scholarship holders with a
WAIS operated sport program.
contains both a scholarship program (IAS – Individual Athlete Scholarship) and
a grants (WA Connect Grant – WACG) program. The scholarship program is designed
to assist athletes who need access to WAIS services and facilities to support
an externally coached and managed training environment. The grant provides
either assistance to relocate or to retain contact with their family and
friends in WA once relocated.
applications for winter sports
are now open.
athlete to be eligible for the IAP they must be a registered Western Australian
athlete competing in an event in the next Winter Olympic/Paralympic Games. Athletes will only
be awarded either scholarship or a grant within the one year.
Scholarships are awarded based on
the athlete’s current and forecast performance standard. There are six
categories of scholarship available which are defined in the table below. For
an athlete to be considered for the Program they must be currently nominated to
one of these categories by their NSO. The scholarship benefits are assigned
based on scholarship category and individualised to assist the athlete’s
- The athlete must be an Australian citizen.
- The athlete must compete in a sport and
discipline on the Olympic or Paralympic event list.
- The athlete must be nationally categorised by
their National Sporting Organisation.
- The athlete’s applications
must be endorsed by their National Sporting Organisation.
- Athletes must train at a training centre approved
by their NSO, either in Australia or overseas.
- Athletes who are ineligible for the dAIS, for
reasons including but not limited to country of residence and income earned per
annum, are ineligible to receive the financial component of the WA Connect Grant.
Athletes ineligible for the dAIS, however, are eligible for the service
component of the WA Connect Grant.
- Athletes will be selected based on the following
- The athlete’s national athlete categorisation
level approved by the AIS.
athlete’s ability to achieve/maintain National representation in an Olympic or Paralympic event.
Process, Dates and Selection Criteria
for the 2019/20 Western Australian Institute of Sport - Individual Athlete Program are now open for Winter Sports.
As funding is limited
applications will be prioritised on a top down approach aligned with WAIS goals
and key performance indicators.
Click here to complete the online application form
Winter Sport Athletes
The application process is as follows:
- IAP applications open on the WAIS website 25th February
- Athletes to have completed and submitted the online application 15th March 2019
- WAIS to confirm all applications with the appropriate NSO 22nd March 2019
- Applicants notified via email 29th March 2019
- Shortlisted athlete IAPP’s due at WAIS 19th April 2019
- IAS athletes confirmed via email 10th May 2019
- Commencement of 2019/2020 Individual Athlete Program 1st June 2019
Prior to completing this
application form, please refer to the WAIS website and read the following
documents which should assist with your application:
Athlete Program (IAP) Athlete selection Policy.
- The WAIS Athlete Categorisation and SelectionPolicy.
For further information about
WAIS and IAP, please contact:
Western Australian Institute of
PO Box 139
CLAREMONT WA 6910
Phone: 08 9387 8166
Fax: 08 9383 7344
Contact: Matthew Nelson - WAIS Performance