The WAIS Women's Gymnastics Program caters for the development and support of WA female gymnasts currently or identified as capable of progressing to the highest representative level gymnastics. The Program provides world-class coaching, training, facilities and support services to improve gymnasts’ competitive performance.
The WA International Elite Stream Program for Women’s Artistic Gymnastics operates exclusively under the umbrella of WAIS, but with the cooperation & guidance of Gymnastics WA (GWA) & Gymnastics Australia.
Although the WAIS Program exists as the sole pathway for elite gymnasts to reach international level, GWA coordinates a Satellite Club Program for the early development of talent specifically for the elite stream.
- Maximise WA representation on National teams;
- Maximise the WA contribution to Australian world-class performances
The Program consists of the following squads to be selected in December of each year:
Size of Squads
- WAIS Fliers Elite Squad
- WAIS Fliers Development Squad
- WAIS Fliers Preparatory Squad
Squad size is dependent on the quality of gymnasts and the total number of squad memberships available. The maximum number of WAIS squad memberships offered for 2007 is 50. WAIS reserves the right to offer up to but not exceeding this maximum total.
Women’s Gymnastics squad memberships will commence on 1st January concluding on the 31st December annually.
A Selection Panel consisting of the WAIS Head of Gymnastics, the WAIS Gymnastics Senior Coaches and the WAIS Gymnastics TID Coordinator will determine selections. Membership to the Program is not confirmed until the gymnast has signed the WAIS Athlete Agreement.
Queries on Selection
All questions concerning any aspect of selection must be in writing and addressed to the WAIS Head of Gymnastics.
Duration of Squads
All squad memberships are reviewed on an ongoing basis against performance indicators appropriate for each squad, and for the age of the gymnast.
Athlete initiated - A gymnast wishing to withdraw from the Program may do so at any time by informing the WAIS Head of Gymnastics in writing. A 1 month notice clause is applied as per the signed gymnastics financial policy.
Head of Gymnastics initiated - The WAIS Head of Gymnastics may recommend to the Selection Panel the withdrawal of a gymnast’s squad membership after a formal review or at any other time deemed necessary, based on the gymnast’s current and future performance, commitment and potential to achieve the program’s objectives.
WAIS initiated - A gymnast’s program membership may be suspended or terminated where she breaches the WAIS Athlete Agreement. WAIS reserves the right to add/delete gymnasts to/from a scholarship squad at any time.
Talent Identification for the WAIS Women's Gymnastics Program
- Contact the WAIS Gymnastics staff by phone or email to register your interest
- A convenient assessment date will be arranged
- Depending on the natural gymnastic ability and readiness of the child, she may be asked to join a WAIS training group OR alternatively she may be referred to an affiliated gymnastics club for further experience before being reassessed.
- 6 – 9 years old
- small in stature
- good co-ordination
- some degree of natural strength and flexibility
- no previous experience necessary
The Gymnastics Program is
staffed within the Performance Enhancement Team - Technical
Gymnastics PET Staff:
- Director - Alan Black
- Head Coaches - Nikolai Lapchine, Martine George
- Coaches - Regan Molyneaux, Emma Di Carlo, Josh Fabian
- ACE - Jenny Marsh
- Biomechanics -
- Physiology -
- Strength and Conditioning - Geish Hori
- Psychology - Shane Hanks, Emilie Thienot
- Medical - WAIS Medical Service Providers
- Physiotherapy - Jo Norcott
- Nutrition -